There are a number of preserved tugs in the UK, the largest of these is the tug tender Calshot. Built for the 'Southampton, Isle of Wight & South of England Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Limited', more commonly referred to as Red Funnel in 1930.
Her main duties were to act as 'tender' to ocean liners working out of Southampton. She transferred passengers, baggage, mail and stores to the liners, which usually would anchor in Cowes Roads. In December 1940, she was requisitioned by the Admiralty and sailed North to Scapa Flow. Two years later, she went to the Clyde to tender the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth which were both in use as troop ships. In May 1944, she returned to the South coast and her home port of Southampton.
In 1964 Calshot was sold to Port & Liner Services (Ireland Ltd.); a subsidiary of Holland America Line. She was given new diesel engines and renamed Galway Bay. She saw her final commercial days out as a passenger vessel on the run between Galway and the Aran Islands until 1986 when she returned home to Southampton for restoration.